An opportunity has arisen for a Trainee Solicitor or Paralegal to join the busy insurance litigation department of DAC Beachcroft Scotland LLP working within the disease claims team.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Work in a team of around 6 fee earners who work exclusively on defending claims arising from industrial disease including asbestos related conditions, noise induced hearing loss (NIHL) and Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS).
- Manage a caseload made up of both pre and post litigated industrial disease claims primarily for insurer clients.
- Where necessary assist other colleagues on more complex and higher value cases.
- Draft documents, letters and reports ensuring they are adapted to each client and their needs.
- Correspond with clients, insurers and other solicitors and liaise with Counsel and experts where appropriate.
- Analyse evidence and set case strategies encompassing both technical and commercial considerations and advise clients accordingly
- Provide a timely, professional and high quality service to clients in the management of a high volume caseload.
- Where necessary interview witnesses and prepare witness statements.
- Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
The Ideal Candidate
The candidate should be:
- Enthusiastic with a demonstrable interest in personal injury, claims resolution and litigation
- Highly organised and a confident communicator with an outstanding eye for detail and able to prioritise and organise workload/tasks effectively
- Team orientated, with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team
- Change oriented, with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives
- Able to adopt a commercial perspective to legal issues
- IT literate, with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and previous knowledge or experience of a case management system would be an advantage but not essential.
- Trainees: You should hold an LLB (Hons) and have completed your Diploma in Legal Practice
- Paralegal: A law degree or equivalent is preferable but not essential.
Experience of handling personal injury claims would be preferable but is not essential. Similarly previous experience of disease-related claims is not necessary. Experience of working in a target driven commercial environment would also be an advantage.