A Professional Support Legal Assistant assisting a Professional Support Counsel reporting to Director of Professional Support assigned primarily to support the London Corporate M&A group.
Our Knowledge Team
The global Knowledge Department keeps W&C at the forefront of today’s changing legal landscape. We help lawyers practice smarter as they deliver world-class client service. Our work ranges from helping the Firm leverage the latest legal, client and market knowledge to providing front-line support for legal teams in their client work.
We have a broad platform: Professional Support, Research, Practice Technology, Information Governance, Knowledge Systems, and Practice Innovation. Our professionals use information management, research, training and technical solutions to help lawyers work efficiently and collaboratively. The goal is to make sure the Firm’s shared knowledge is leveraged for the benefit of our clients.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Conduct research on legal developments or new areas of law relevant to the Group;
- Assist in the maintenance of practice notes and standard forms;
- Provide direct support to individual practitioners to assist them with locating practice-related internal and external knowledge resources;
- Ensure the Knowledge Bank is kept up to date by profiling and uploading contributions from legal staff and managing the process of obtaining document profiles from others. Encourage legal staff within the Group to submit useful and relevant documents;
- Create and maintain a well-organized electronic collection of practice-related knowledge resources, which include standard forms and accompanying notes, precedent documents, best practices and how-to memos, legal research documents and other materials useful to the Group;
- Maintain precedent library collection of electronic and hard copy transaction bibles and update catalogue;
- Maintain the knowledge-related aspects of the Group’s resources on Connect (Firm’s Intranet);
- Assist the PSC in the evaluation of individual lawyer’s contributions to know-how and knowledge sharing through the know-how contributions scheme;
- Participate in regular meetings of the Professional Support function and Knowledge Department and liaise with other PSLs/PSLAs to facilitate the sharing of best practice and knowledge;
- Provide other knowledge support to the Group as may be assigned by the PSC, the head of the Group, the Knowledge Partner, the Chief Knowledge Officer or the supervising Professional Support Director.
- Assist in the implementation of wider Knowledge Department and Professional Support initiatives and projects as required.
Essential Job Requirements
- Prior experience in a knowledge management/professional support team would be highly desirable but is not necessary.
- High professional standards;
- Excellent drafting and research skills;
- Well-developed organizational and communication skills;
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Pragmatic, self-motivated, flexible and able to work both in team and individually as required;
- Willingness to take on additional tasks as and when required;
- Excellent IT skills, including proficiency in MS Office, ideally experience of iManage/document management systems
- Degree educated plus LPC.
- Highly desirable to have taken the following electives on the LPC: Acquisitions, Banking and Debt Finance and Public Companies and Equity Finance (or equivalent) but is not necessary.
Location and Reporting
- This is role based in London
- This role will report to Corporate M&A Professional Support Counsel and Director of Professional Support